LAKE ZURICH, Ill., May 12, 2020 – Fresenius Kabi announced today the immediate availability in the United States of Micafungin for Injection. Fresenius Kabi’s Micafungin for Injection is available in 50 mg and 100 mg strengths in a 10 mL vial.
“We’re pleased to offer the first Micafungin generic in the United States, expanding our anti-infective portfolio, and increasing supply of this much-needed medication. Fresenius Kabi is committed to providing products that enable clinicians to deliver high-quality, cost-effective therapies,” said John Ducker, president and CEO of Fresenius Kabi USA.
Fresenius Kabi is a global health care company that specializes in medicines and technologies for infusion, transfusion and clinical nutrition. To learn more about Fresenius Kabi, including its expanding U.S. centers for pharmaceutical research, manufacturing and distribution, please visit www.fresenius-kabi.com/us.
About Micafungin for Injection
Micafungin for Injection is an echinocandin indicated in adult and pediatric patients for:
- Treatment of Candidemia, Acute Disseminated Candidiasis, Candida Peritonitis and Abscesses in adult and pediatric patients 4 months of age and older.
- Treatment of Candidemia, Acute Disseminated Candidiasis, Candida Peritonitis and Abscesses without meningoencephalitis and/or ocular dissemination in pediatric patients younger than 4 months of age.
- Treatment of Esophageal Candidiasis in adult and pediatric patients 4 months of age and older.
- Prophylaxis of Candida Infections in adult and pediatric patients 4 months of age and older undergoing Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT).
Limitations of Use
- The safety and effectiveness of Micafungin for Injection have not been established for the treatment of candidemia with meningoencephalitis and/or ocular dissemination in pediatric patients younger than 4 months of age as a higher dose may be needed.
- Micafungin for Injection has not been adequately studied in patients with endocarditis, osteomyelitis or meningoencephalitis due to Candida.
- The efficacy of Micafungin for Injection against infections caused by fungi other than Candida has not been established.
Important Safety Information
Micafungin for Injection is contraindicated in persons with known hypersensitivity to micafungin sodium, any component of Micafungin for Injection, or other echinocandins.
Hypersensitivity Reactions: Anaphylaxis and anaphylactoid reactions (including shock) have been observed. Discontinue micafungin and administer appropriate treatment.
Hematological Effects: Isolated cases of acute intravascular hemolysis, hemolytic anemia and hemoglobinuria have been reported. Monitor rate of hemolysis. Discontinue if severe.
Hepatic Effects: Abnormalities in liver tests; isolated cases of hepatic impairment, hepatitis, and hepatic failure have been observed. Monitor hepatic function. Discontinue if severe dysfunction occurs.
Renal Effects: Elevations in BUN and creatinine; isolated cases of renal impairment or acute renal failure have been reported. Monitor renal function.
Infusion and Injection Site Reactions can occur including rash, pruritus, facial swelling, and vasodilatation. Monitor infusion closely, slow infusion rate if necessary.
Most common adverse reactions across adult and pediatric clinical trials for all indications include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, pyrexia, thrombocytopenia, neutropenia, and headache.
In pediatric patients younger than 4 months of age, the following additional common adverse reactions were reported at an incidence rate of ≥15%: sepsis, acidosis, anemia, oxygen saturation decreased and hypokalemia.
To report SUSPECTED ADVERSE REACTIONS, contact Fresenius Kabi USA, LLC at 1-800‐551‐7176, option 5, or FDA at 1‐800‐FDA‐1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Monitor for sirolimus, itraconazole or nifedipine toxicity, and dosage of sirolimus, itraconazole or nifedipine should be reduced, if necessary.
Pregnancy – Based on animal data, Micafungin may cause fetal harm. Advise pregnant women of the risk to the fetus.
This Important Safety Information does not include all the information needed to use Micafungin for Injection safely and effectively. Full prescribing information is also available at https://tinyurl.com/y7g3zkma.
About Fresenius Kabi
Fresenius Kabi (www.fresenius-kabi.com/us) is a global health care company that specializes in medicines and technologies for infusion, transfusion and clinical nutrition. The company’s products and services are used to help care for critically and chronically ill patients. The company’s U.S. headquarters is in Lake Zurich, Illinois. The company’s global headquarters is in Bad Homburg, Germany. To learn about U.S. career opportunities at Fresenius Kabi, visit us at https://www.fresenius-kabi.com/us/join-us.
Mycamine® is a registered trademark of Astellas Pharma Inc.